Thursday, 23 June 2011

[CPD23] Things 1 and 2

And here is my CPD23 post for this week.  The Things are pretty similar to the Cam23 2.0 start so I will try to give a different take on them.

Thing 1

A little background - I am a graduate trainee in Cambridge and will be moving across the pond to Syracuse, NY for the MLIS course come Fall.  I am really looking forward to it but am more than a tad apprehensive about the change not only in teabags but also in approaches to librarianship.  I am hoping that CPD23 will give me a headstart with some of the ways in which I can find my feet and promote myself (though I have a funny feeling that my accent will make me stick out enough!).  I am looking forward to the personal brand Thing 3 and also presenting Things 18 and 19 since I have wanted to have a go at Prezi for a while.  I have written the blogs for some of the Things so hopefully people will enjoy them!

I have had a blog for about 5 months now and I did find it very daunting to start with, especially when I realised that people I didn't know were reading it and that my blog was a representation of me, sometimes the only one people could access.  I relaxed after a while when I decided to use it mainly as a personal tool in recording and reflecting on what I have done/where I have visited/whom I have heard talk etc.

Facebook vs Twitter
I was also concerned about the professional/private divide, which I have problems with on Facebook and Twitter as well.  I remember this being a main issue discussed at a meeting on Cam 23 Things last year where feedback was given by the participants.  There was confusion over whether blogs were meant to be open or anonymous and whether Facebook overstepped the mark into the social lives of students when the library should remain removed.  Indeed this is an issue that has cropped up a lot over the past year.  Personally, I feel that Facebook is for private use since I use it to keep in contact with my friends while I view Twitter as more professional since it is mostly librarians, whom I follow (oh, and Jimmy Carr).  I wanted my blog to be professional but to have enough of a personal twist to keep it interesting and appeal to non-librarians as a means of advocating my work to the big outside world so hopefully that is what I am achieving.

Sneaky peak at blogs
Thing 2

I have had a wee look at other blogs and was already subscribing to a lot of them on my Google Reader.  I see that over 600 people from all over the world have now subscribed to this programme, which is fantastic!  I have commented on several blogs as part of this Thing as well as for the Cam23 2.0 Thing 2.  I find it very interesting to see how other people approach the same subject, such as how they decide to lay out their reply and which parts of the remit they focus on.  I will not be reading all 600 blogs but intend to dip in and out of lots of them and add the ones I find particularly interesting to my RSS feed.

I feel that I have blogged more than enough this week and will give you a break from my witterings.  Oh and I have added a CPD23 logo, just to be fair.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Erin,

    It's nice to see you blogging - we met when I visited Cambridge a wee while back. Really glad to hear that you're going ahead with Syracuse! The change of tea may indeed be traumatic at first, but I'm sure those of us still in the Yookay can organise sweetie and tea exchanges (I am a notorious Red Vines and Reese's Pieces addict).

    re: Twitter and Facebook, I tend to take your stance. Facebook is more personal, and I certainly understand why students are reticent to 'like' the Library's Facebook page! For Twitter, I use two accounts: one public for librarian talk, and one private for the more unprofessional "I'm watching telly/eating beans on toast" stuff.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great start! I ended up deciding that everything I do on-line is professional, mostly because my first friend and follows were librarians. And then I just made myself be comfortable with the fact that I display a fair amount of personality and personal life in that realm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. -Andrew - hello again! Glad to see that you are doing the CPD23, it is going to be a great course! Reese's Pieces are wonderful...Red Vines I have yet to discover! Good idea with the two Twitter accounts, I may actually go for that, maybe when we cover Twitter.

    -Joy - I agree with you about having personality in the professional realm - I think that I need to get away from the very strict views about careers that I have been brought up with - including that all superiors be addressed as 'Sir' or 'Madam! I am hoping that the personal brand Thing will build on this idea.

    ReplyDelete