Thursday, 11 August 2011

[Cam23 2.0] Things 14 and 15 and Extra Thing 5

Social media is a bit of buzz term at the moment due to the riots (I am glad to see that the Glaswegians are refraining at the moment and have made Facebook groups entitled 'Rioters, come tae Glasgow, we'll set aboot ye' and 'No chance of riots in Glasgow, we have John Smeaton' - makes me proud to be Scottish.

Smeato
Also, yesterday I took part in a focus group for my friend's dissertation for his Marketing Masters.  The discussion was all about the use of social media in advertising and how we, as consumers, reacted to companies who were on Facebook or Twitter.  I was surprised by the negative attitude of the others in the group (we were all recent graduates) who claimed either to ignore social media links to companies or even to look elsewhere for whatever product it might be.  I suppose I have been cocooned in the uber-enthusiastic Cambridge librarian scene and was not prepared for the rather more down-to-earth approach of Scottish consumers!  But do not fret, I gave them an earful about the wonderful Cambridge librarians and how inter-connected we all are!

Also, I have been starting my reading for Syracuse and I came across this interesting article on what happens when new technologies go wrong - I particularly liked the 'creepy' comment.

So, onward.

Facebook

I have been using Facebook since first year at uni and think that it is a great way to stay in contact with friends and share photos etc.  It is particularly useful for organising events and getting in touch with groups.  I am not sure about it for libraries - I have done rather haphazard research and gathered that students don't automatically think of Facebook when they want to find out information about their libraries (even when they are friends on Facebook) - they, like me, would be more likely to go to the library website since they regard the library as an academic and professional institution rather than their 'friend.'  This distance is arguably useful to a library, which needs to maintain a sense of professionalism and respect from users.  But, equally, I can see the benefit of being on more informal terms (with students...perhaps it depends on which library.

LinkedIn


I have an account and have made connections and somehow folk keep asking to connect with me, which is great though I am not entirely sure how they found me.  I haven't been using it that much since I have been a tad busy.  I will keep it up to date but the discussions on it etc. are all just a bit much for me - on top of RSS feeds and articles and Twitter it is just something else to keep track of and I am beginning to need to be very selective with what I keep track of...this and CPD23 is getting tricky enough!

Tumblr

I haven't tried this myself but I do like tumblr blogs such as Ange's and Cambridge Noir.  I am quite happy with Blogger at the moment but I'll bear Tumblr in mind if ever I want a more media focused blog.

John's Working Library


posterous

The Judge's blog looks fantastic - I think I'll be using this!  This sort of blog looks like it could be good due to its privatisation options but, as I said above, I am not in the market for a new blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment