Sunday, 2 October 2011

[CPD23] Thing 20

The Library Routes/Roots project was something that I heard of soon after my arrival in Cambridge and, as Jen points out, was a very useful tool for finding out how people got into the profession and it was reassuring that there are several different approaches to the profession.  As for my own roots/routes, I discussed these in a previous post for CPD23.

Rooted by AnyaLogic, on Flickr
Obligatory root image

Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License  by  AnyaLogic 

I am now ensconced in Syracuse and all is going according to plan.  I am making sure to select courses that cover several different aspects of librarianship, especially cataloguing since the librarians we have all interviewed were in agreement that a knowledge of cataloguing is integral.  Here, cataloguing from scratch is not done but the understanding of cataloguing is very useful.  As for my plans when I leave here, I am in a quandary.  There is nothing preventing me travelling further (that's right, the whole visa process/difficulty in getting a mobile/different education systems/unawareness of ceilidhs/lack of duvets has not put me off doing it all over again somewhere new) so who knows where I might be this time next year. I might well want to return to Cambridge since, as I experience more and more here, I realise just how fortunate I was when I was at John's.  BUT I must go where the jobs are so all the best laid plans may be scuppered!

Flags by RambergMediaImages, on Flickr
The world is our oyster

Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic License  by  RambergMediaImages 

As for the Library Day in the Life project, I followed but did not participate when it ran last year.  It was interesting to see what my fellow graduate trainees were up to and other positions, with which I was not familiar.  The reason I did not contribute was that I thought others would find it pretty boring but I realise that they probably wouldn't...the grass is always greener.  It is a great way for prospective librarians to find out what we really do and for librarians to discover other positions within the profession that may be of interest to them.

Aside


Last night I was listening to BBC World Service* and an article came up on youth digital illiteracy with students in high school in London placing YouTube above the BBC and Government websites in an authority poll.  Students in Liverpool were no better.  This in itself is not that surprising but there was a discussion about digital literacy and how it is dreadful that schools are not providing education in this field.  There was not a mention of a librarian or information professional.  What?  The reporter was clearly not aware of school librarians and the work they do to educate pupils in use of the internet, how to conduct searches and rate the authority of websites and how they work with classes and class teachers to provide research information and tuition.

The article didn't really blame anyone for the shortcomings of the pupils but the discussion could definitely have been doing with a librarian's input.

On a lighter note, Peanut M&M's have now been discovered:
Strangely sexed-up M&M

*I am afraid that I can't link to it since iPlayer doesn't like America but it was on in the morning of Sunday October 2nd UK time.

No comments:

Post a Comment