Monday, 9 February 2015

Copyright conference and beginning the long road to registration

I am currently working on getting to grips with the copyright issues in the NT Archive and how these are affecting the usage of our materials.  I'm working with several departments to clarify existing information and considering in which directions we could go in the future depending on what sort of licensing model we wish to have.

As part of this, I attended a copyright conference in Edinburgh, 'Copyright and Cultural Heritage 2.0: Protecting creators, sharing content' sponsored by Shepherd and Wedderburn and run by The Scotsman.


This event had speakers from a surprising range of backgrounds including writers, politicians, archivists and lawyers.  This is the first copyright conference I have attended outside of the usual 'archive' events.  It was particularly helpful to hear from those in different professions, especially the lawyers, and to see how wide-reaching this issue is.

It was reassuring to hear that others also worry about how we can ensure fairness in getting as many people to access our materials while respecting the copyright holders and maintaining their income so that they can continue to create.

One important point was that it is integral to educate the users of digitised material.  If you offer any digitised material online then every image should be accompanied by a copyright line about how it can be used legally and what users should do to pursue other lines of use.  It would be wonderful if we could get to the stage at the NT where images all had individual copyright statements to guide staff about their use.

A key element to this conference was respect for collections and creators and a wish to collaborate to allow collections to be positively exploited for the greater good of all concerned.

The conference was in a cold but beautiful Edinburgh
In other news, I have enrolled in the ARA registration scheme.  I have written up one credit thus far and I was surprised at how hard it was to 'reflect'.  I have never been very good at reflecting, from school onwards.  I think the difficulty is separating out what I do for work and what I do for my own development.  The registration scheme is based on personal development and so there is a tricky slant to the write-ups.  The vast majority of training I attend etc. is geared towards projects I am undertaking but there are obviously personal development points in these.  I have started on my second credit and have several to write up from previous projects but will soon get into unchartered territory and that is where it will get exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment