Saturday, 14 November 2015

What does a theatre archivist do?

A couple of months ago I was approached by a member of the Broadcast and Digital team asking me to be interviewed for one of their Careers films.  I knew about these films as I had watched all of the ones available on the website in a bid to understand my colleagues better and to help my understanding of the material that comes my way in the Archive.

I was secretly hoping that the Archive would be respected enough at the NT for me to be asked to do one but I was, somewhat less secretly, absolutely petrified of being filmed.  (Those on the Clore course with me last month know only too well my opinions on being filmed...)

I was sent the questions in advance and prepared what I wanted to say to make sure that I got across the right message about the Archive and what I do within it.  2 minutes isn’t a long time to explain your career and what your service does as well as give people an idea of what archiving is and how widespread archives are!  I think I’ve succeeded and I’m happy I had the guts to do this for anyone out there who might be thinking about libraries or archives but aren’t sure how to get into it or what their day to day job might entail.

Take a look at the finished video here!

Having breathed a sigh of relief that that was over, I was asked to be interviewed by the University of Arts Communications team about the Jocelyn Herbert Collection we hold.  The interview will be used in various ways such as trailers for the Jocelyn Herbert Annual Lecture and for advertising the Collection and surrounding events.  I got just as nervous as the first time and had to ad lib a lot more, which was really tricky as I didn't want to get anything wrong.  I think it turned out ok and I just hope that I get more used to having to do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment