Saturday, 13 May 2017

National Jazz Archive - new trustee, new challenge

Ever since Clore, I have been thinking about joining a board of something not as directly related to my work as the Association of Performing Arts Collections, of which I became Chair this week.  I wanted something a little bit different, which would truly push me out of my comfort zone.

This month I officially became a trustee of the National Jazz Archive.  I can easily say that I am well and truly out of my comfort zone and inhabiting that scary zone called 'stretch', a little before 'panic'. I have had my hands full with the interview, induction, exhibition private view, first board meeting and today, the first talk, which have all fallen in the last month or so. It has been a steep learning curve to get my head round a very unique organisation, learn all the names and find my way round the projects as well as try to not look too ignorant about jazz. I see this role as one where I can bring my archiving expertise to an area as unfamiliar to me as theatre was 5 years ago. Everyone has been incredibly kind and welcoming and, although I am very much in the minority as a young woman on the board, I feel quite at home.


The NJA holds the finest collection of written, printed and visual material on jazz, blues and related music from the 1920s to present day. Based in Loughton Library, the NJA serves researchers from all over the world and is coming to the end of its second large HLF grant. This one was focussed on intergenerational jazz reminiscence and culminated in an exhibition in the Southend Forum. Hence my first ever trip to Southend last weekend. Bolstered by some fish and chips on the beach I made my way to my first event as a trustee and it was a great experience. The exhibition looks fantastic and really takes advantage of the beautiful architecture of the building. It was lovely to hear from those involved in the project including community groups and volunteers and see how their work has developed and illuminated the history and heritage of jazz.

Location of the 'Say it with Music' exhibition, in situ until the end of May
Today I headed out to Loughton for a talk, part of a series of events run by the NJA to raise money for its services. Today's speaker was Stuart Nicholson, a patron of the National Jazz Archive and author of multiple books, one of which is Jazz: A Beginner's Guide published in February, which I have just purchased. It sounds like a good place for me to start!

Southend-on-Sea
Stuart's talk was about how we listen to music in the digital age and what effect streaming is having on jazz music, music more widely and even on the attitudes and aptitudes of younger generations, who are growing up without the same listening experience as his generation. He picked up on the growing trend for songs to play it safe in the first 30 seconds as this is how long someone needs to listen to a streamed song for it to count as a 'stream' and so contribute to sales and the charts. Stuart also touched on the increasing lack of empathy among younger generations, who are used to connecting with people through devices rather than face to face and the increasing impatience and choice overload that we are now experiencing thanks to the internet. This reminded me of this photo essay in the Guardian that I recently saw and is something that I am trying to think about more and more in my own life.

More of Southend
An interesting discussion ensued about how optimistic or pessimistic we should be about the future of music.  Stuart is concerned that the lack of empathy experienced by younger people will lead to them not engaging with music in the same way as the older generations but this was countered by the clear benefits of availability and accessibility to huge swathes of music that older generations did not have the fortune of knowing. Whatever the future holds in store, it is good that we are aware of the changes and discussing them.

I'll keep you posted on my progress as a trustee, I am thoroughly enjoying it so far. I have met a variety of people I would never have had the chance to meet and I am excited to see how I can apply my background and experience to this new environment. I hope having some 'stretch' time will stand me in good stead for my work and personal life more generally...Chair of APAC will definitely take me into that zone too, more on that soon no doubt.

1 comment:

  1. It's a delight to have you and your fantastic archival experience on board. As to jazz knowledge, I shouldn't worry to much. Remember what my old friend Jimmy Skidmore use to say just about everything "It's good enough for jazz!" Anything before the 1960's - ask me. After that, I've no idea at all. Mike

    ReplyDelete